News from bow and arrow attack in Norway: suspect’s mental health assessed

0

Norwegian suspect is Muslim convert known to police

A suspect in a bow and arrow attack in Norway that left five dead is being taken care of by medical professionals, police confirmed.

Espen Andersen Braathen, 37, confessed to killing five people in his rampage. He would have radicalized after converting to Islam, according to Norwegian police.

“Braathen was transferred to health care services on Thursday after an assessment of his condition,” the force said on Friday.

Four women and a man aged 50 to 70 died in an incident in the town of Kongsberg on Wednesday. Three other people, including a police officer, were injured by the assailant.

On Friday, a Norwegian court will determine how long he can be initially detained. Andersen Braathen will not appear in person.

Earlier this week, Norwegian security services said the incident “appears to be an act of terror”, but did not give further details.

The toll of the attack is the worst in the country since 2011, when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik murdered 77 people in a youth camp.

1634292971

Students locked themselves in their rooms during the attack

A student described how the bow and arrow forward attempted unsuccessfully to enter his home on Wednesday.

The assailant entered several homes and a supermarket during his killings in Kongsberg, Norway.

Student Mohammed Shaban said Reuters that he and his friends found the man trying to enter through the open window.

“My friend said, ‘What’s going on, what’s going on? Who is he ? The 25-year-old told the news agency.

“We ran into the bedroom to save ourselves and I latched onto the doorknob… From the window I saw the man, dressed in gray jeans and a white tank top. I saw it from behind.

Rory sullivanOctober 15, 2021 11:16 AM

1634291078

Medical professionals deal with suspect, police confirm

The 37-year-old man suspected of committing this week’s deadly bow and arrow attack in Norway is now in the custody of medical professionals, police have confirmed.

“Braathen was transferred to health care services on Thursday after an assessment of his condition,” the force said in a statement.

Rory sullivanOctober 15, 2021 10:44 AM

1634289539

Photos: Tributes to the victims

Five women and men aged 50 to 70 died in Wednesday’s archery attack.

To pay tribute to them, locals laid flowers and lit candles in Kongsberg, the Norwegian town where the atrocity took place.

People come to pay their respects to the five people who died in Wednesday’s attack.

(EPA)

Flowers and candles are placed in front of a store involved in the attack.

(PA)

Rory sullivanOctober 15, 2021 10:18 AM

1634288193

Espen Andersen Braathen faces custody hearing on Friday

A Norwegian court will hold a custody hearing Friday over this week’s murders in Kongsberg, a city 70 kilometers from Oslo.

He will decide how long the suspect, Espen Andersen Braathen, can initially be detained.

His lawyer Fredrik Neumann said yesterday that Andersen Braathen would not oppose the request for continued detention.

He is to undergo a full psychiatric evaluation to determine if he was sane at the time of the attack.

Rory sullivanOctober 15, 2021 9:56 AM

1634286946

A suspect named in a terrorist attack

The suspect in the deadly bow and arrow attack in Norway yesterday was named Espen Andersen Braathen, a 37-year-old Muslim convert.

“Previously there had been concerns about the radicalization of the man,” Police Chief Ole B Saeverud told a press conference on Thursday.

Here’s what we know about Andersen Braathen:

Rory sullivanOctober 15, 2021 9:35 AM

1634286738

Hello and welcome to our report on the deadly bow and arrow attack in Norway earlier this week.

Rory sullivanOctober 15, 2021 09:32


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.